There are so many elements to being a healthy person – fitness, nutrition, sleep, spirituality, connection, and the list goes on. But one of my favorites is sex. Yes – that’s right, in order to be a truly healthy person sex is needed. Some of us like it more often than others, some of us like it different ways than others, but at the end of the day, it is a fact that part of the key to an overall healthy ADULT is a great sex life.
According to sex therapist Richard A. Carroll from Northwestern University, “We are programmed to do so (have sex). Asking why people have sex is akin to asking why we eat. Our brains are designed to motivate us toward that behavior.”
Humans have sex for a multitude number of reasons from curiosity to exercise, from pleasure to stress relief, and from wanting to pro-create to wanting to boost self esteem. I find it fascinating to find out why people have or don’t have sex. I have personally never understood the idea of withholding sex from your partner as punishment because he or she didn’t do/act/say what you wanted them to. Is that not punishment to both? And moreover, why would you want to punish someone you are so intimate with? The topic of sexual encounters is one that truly intrigues me.
Back to the health benefit of sex! Here are my Top Ten Reasons as to why sex can actually improve your health:
- Lowers stress levels
- Lowers cholesterol levels and in turn lowers your risk for a heart attack
- Sex burns approximately 290 calories per hour – great exercise!
- Orgasm can partially or completely alleviate migraines (according to a University of Munster study)
- Heart health – with all of that cardio, you’re on a roll to a healthier heart!
- Helps keep your immune system on track due to an increased level of antibodies
- Improves women’s bladder control – all those kegel exercises and daily sex is helping you in so many ways!
- Lowers blood pressure
- Lowers the risk for prostate cancer in men
- Improves sleep
And of course, an absolute favorite is that it just feels great! Sometimes we need to do things because they feel great. Maybe that’s having an ice cream sundae, or playing hooky from work, or maybe it’s having terrific sex. Do what feels amazing and this world is your oyster.