Winnipeg has been noted as one of the stepping stone cities for boxing in Canada, allowing professional boxers to take their skills and talent to the next level. Some of the biggest boxers around the globe have fought in Winnipeg on their way to the top, and the October 22 fight card will be sure to bring exceptional talent and entertainment to the ring.
The High Stakes Havoc II fight card includes Mike Walkchuk from Toronto versus David Whittom from Quebec City as the Semi-Main Event in the Cruiser-weight division. These two fighters are coming to fight HARD, and it definitely promises to be an entertaining bout. Zsolt Daranyi and Stephen Zea out of Toronto who are being trained by Pan Am Games, Commonwealth Games and Canadian Olympic champion, Chris Johnson, are also on the card. Johnson has been working with these two fighters at great lengths, and their skill and promise is unbelievable. Olivia Gerula will also be fighting to defend her WIBA Championship title as the Main Event. All promising to be exceptional fights.
I have been watching many of these fighters via social media and personally throughout their training camps working towards the October 22 fight card. The social media angle can bring such a unique perspective to how a fighter is training both physically and mentally. Posting photos of themselves cutting weight, training sessions and pad work, the dreaded hill runs and cardio routines they are pushing their bodies through. All with one purpose – to win on October 22 in Winnipeg.
Their motivation and dedication to their sport is inspiring. On the days I don’t quite feel like heading to the gym, I can click on a video that Chris Johnson posts to his page from his 6am fighter training and my motivation floods back. There is no doubt that these fights are going to be exceptional. The athletes are training hard knowing that Winnipeg fight cards are truly a stepping stone for them to make it into the larger, more predominant fight cards around the globe.
Fight Card to Include (subject to change):
- Zsolt Daranyi (Toronto) vs Damion Hill (Minneapolis) – 154 lbs
- Mike Walchuk (Toronto) vs David Whittom (Quebec City) – Cruiser-weights, Semi-Main Event
- Aaron Stephenson (Winnipeg) vs Roberto Mendoza (Winnipeg) – 152 lbs
- Kyle Oliveira (Winnipeg) vs Stephen Zea (Toronto) – 130 lbs
- Zafar Sacranie (Winnipeg) vs Keegan Oliver (Calgary) – 120 lbs
- Krystian Dzienski (Miami) vs Jonathan Poirier (Montreal) – Heavyweights
- Stan Surmacz-Ahumada (Edmonton) vs Dale Daniels (Winnipeg) – Heavyweights
- Olivia Gerula (Winnipeg) vs Carla Torres (New York City) – 126 lbs
Tickets are available at Vernaus Autobody located at 160 Higgins Avenue in Winnipeg or by calling 204.982.4540, or find updates on Facebook at Facebook.com/KingJohnPromotions.